Cubaland

Welcome to Cubaland, where the Party is always on.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Jacksonville, Florida

i was born in Cuba in 1966. came to the US during the Mariel Boat Lift in 1980. i have never been able to stop reading about Cuba on a daily basis. now i'm writing about it, though certainly not daily.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Marielito

who am i? a Marielito.

I came to the US in May, 1980, at the age of 13. I arrived with my mother and my sister. my father had been in the US since 1972. there had been a visa snafu at the time, which they thought would take a few weeks at most to fix. after my dad left Cuba, the visa issue was never resolved. if it hadn't been for Mariel, we'd still be in Cuba.

here's a story written by Tanya Perez-Brennan (she is now with the Orlando Sentinel) about me remembering Mariel. i trusted her right away, and I knew she would "get it right." she did. i hate the pictures, but didn't have the balls to say no.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

weblogUpdates.extendedPing Cubaland http://cubalandblog.blogspot.com
Web Page Counters
Comcast High Speed Internet