Cubaland

Welcome to Cubaland, where the Party is always on.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Jacksonville, Florida

i was born in Cuba in 1966. came to the US during the Mariel Boat Lift in 1980. i have never been able to stop reading about Cuba on a daily basis. now i'm writing about it, though certainly not daily.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Yes, King Fidel, You Are Still Alive ... And Maybe Even Relevant

yet another message from King Fidel to his subjects, assuring them that he is alive and well, recovering, helping manage the country, and keeping up with world news. here is Granma's version, in Spanish, of his message.

He first reads some headlines from the day's edition of Granma (to prove the date of the video), and then launches into his statement:

Now, when our enemies have prematurely said I am dying or dead, I am pleased to send my compatriots and friends around the world this small film, though insisting -- I have been saying it for a long time -- that my recovery will be long and not without risks; but in reality I am healing as it had been foreseen.

Another thing: I participate in many things. I watch the main news on television. I have a set right there. I also participate in many of the most important decisions with the comrades of the leadership of the Party and the Government. I do everything possible to support the comrades, be useful, and I feel satisfied.

This is one of the telephones with which I communicate, and I make a number of calls every day. [Picks up phone] Here, the comrade at the switchboard has answered. But I will not reveal anything else about the logistics, because I am being filmed. [To the operator] Do you understand, comrade? [To the camera] That is why I am hanging up, to show you what I do. I will not say any more.

[To the operator] Until later, thank you comrade
.

Now, let's see what they say. They will have to resuscitate me, no? I am not worried, I have no fear of what may happen, but they look ridiculous.

I was watching on Venezuelan t.v. a report that said, "Castro is terminally ill," "Castro is dead." What silliness. To the contrary, they stimulate me to work and to fight.

I know that the problems of the world are very complicated, very serious, and they appear everywhere. I feel the obligation -- as we all should feel it -- to make a special effort to avoid a fatal catastrophe for humanity.

I do not wish to speak any more, but as I now watch all the news, never before in my life have I been able to watch so many news and been able to observe the issues from up close. And always, I am fighting for something, and fighting with optimism.

That is why I asked you to come here and take some photos.

Many thanks.

Fatherland or Death!



in the meantime, his brother, Prince Regent Raul continues to put his people in key positions and has embarked on a new policy shift that has "Raul" written all over it (rooting out bad management and waste from state enterprises).

how relevant is Fidel? Cuba goes on without him. in fact, Cuba seems to be shifting directions without him, guided now by Raul's hand.

there is no doubt that once Fidel gets back to full strength (or rather, if he gets back to full strength), and asks for power back, Raul will hand it over.

the question is, will Fidel be able to undo the changes Raul has made in the meantime?

perhaps that is why the Raul group is working so fast, making big changes right away?

just questions. we probably will never know the answer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

weblogUpdates.extendedPing Cubaland http://cubalandblog.blogspot.com
Web Page Counters
Comcast High Speed Internet